Admiral Giuseppe De Giorgi was born in Naples in 1953.
He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1975 and received his Naval Aviator wings in 1976 in Corpus Christi, achieving Combat Readiness in AB 204 ASW; AB 212 ASW / ASUW and SH3D helicopters.
His major assignments have been:
- Flight Commander ofthe Frigate Alpino (1981 - 1982);
- C.O. of the Auxiliary Ship Bradano (1982 - 1983);
- Flight Commander of the CG Andrea Doria (1983 - 1985);
- He attended the Naval War College in Livorno (1986);
- Flight Commander and Deputy Chief of Staff of the Commander of the 18° Italian Naval Group during Iran -Iraq war in the Persian Gulf (1987);
- C.O. of the FFGH Libeccio (1992 - 1993);
- Chief of the Aviation Plans & Requirements Branch of the Air Warfare Department of the ltalian Navy GeneraI Staff (1993 to 1997);
- C.O. of the CGH Vittorio Veneto (1997-1999);
- Director of the Air Warfare Department of the Italian Navy GeneraI Staff in Rome (1999 - 2005) and (double hatted) Commander of the Naval Air Force (2000 - 2005);
- Commander of the High Seas Fleet and COMITMARFOR (2005 - 2007);
- Chief of Staff of the Italian Joint Operations Headquarter (2007 - 2009);
- Chief of Staff of the Commander in Chief of the Italian Fleet (2009 - 2011);
- from the 2nd of May 20 Il to 20th of February 2012 he has been in charge as Head of Education of the Navy.
From the 28th of August to the 19th of October 2006, Admiral De Giorgi (then RADM) led the "Leonte" operation as JTFC and CATF reinforcing the UNIFIL contingent in application of United Nations Resolution 1701.
He al so became the first Maritime Task Force Commander within UN Mandate for the control of the Lebanese territorial waters. In 2007 for this activity he was granted by the President of the Italian Republic the "Military order of Italy" (Officer) and decorated by the Lebanese Republic with the "Medal for Meritorious Service".
For the same rea so n he was given the "Military of the Year" award at the "Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum" in Washington D.C..
Admiral Giuseppe De Giorgi has been appointed Commander in Chief of the Italian Fleet since the 23rd of February 2012.
From the 28th January 2013 is the Chief of Italian Navy.
Hobbies: sailing, horse riding, military history, gardening, carpentry, motorcycling.